Ohio Outdoors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thoughts of warmer weather...

+2
bugeyedjig
Flathead King 06
6 posters

Go down

Big Grin Thoughts of warmer weather...

Post by Flathead King 06 Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:23 am

Well I was kinda bummed out today after looking outside and seeing almost an inch of snow on the ground... and after all the nice weather we had last week ... so I got to thinking about all the warmer weather coming soon and decided to get the vice out and tie up some whitebass patterns for out on CJ and buck creek for when the "run" is on... here's what I came up with... double bunnies, on a 1/0 mustad hook used for deer hair flies... and weighted them with lead wire

Thoughts of warmer weather... 100_0415

Thoughts of warmer weather... 100_0416

Thoughts of warmer weather... 100_0417

Thoughts of warmer weather... 100_0418
Flathead King 06
Flathead King 06
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Big Grin Re: Thoughts of warmer weather...

Post by bugeyedjig Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:29 am

great looking flies! should be able to fill your bucket
bugeyedjig
bugeyedjig
Outdoorsman 5
Outdoorsman 5

Back to top Go down

Post by saugeye1 Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:55 am

never fly fished but those are some nice lookin flies!!
saugeye1
saugeye1
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by OhioFisher Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:49 pm

I fished a white one like that for a guy to just try it for him in the sandusky..
I caught 7 in about 10min... It was fun
OhioFisher
OhioFisher
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ratherbefishing Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:30 pm

those are pretty neat looking... they remind me of that squirrel that chases the nut around in the Ice Age movie. You know the one I'm talking about?
I like the colors, almost identical to the rooster tail patterns I throw for white bass!
ratherbefishing
ratherbefishing
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by saugeye1 Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:49 pm

ratherbefishing where do you do your white bass fishin at. i usually hit deer ck or ohio river, never seem to hit em just right.
saugeye1
saugeye1
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ratherbefishing Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:04 pm

saugeye I het the white bass pretty hard in a couple of different spots.

Indian Lake on the North and South Forks. I can tell you exactly where to go. The run isn't what it used to be, but it's still about the best around.

I also fish them around the Columbus reservoirs and Kiser Lake has Wipers(hybrid stripers) which will blow your mind!
ratherbefishing
ratherbefishing
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by ratherbefishing Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:06 pm

In addition I know that a few of these guys know CJ Brown pretty well and they get their white bass down there.. I'm sure they'll be willing to add their advice.
ratherbefishing
ratherbefishing
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Flathead King 06 Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:51 am

Ratherbefishing

I know exactly what you mean about the Ice Age movies...lol also reminds me about the infamously popular "Weasel Ball" back in the 90's... wonder if I unhook one of those and tie it directly to a larger hook, if Muskies would smash it... LOL just kidding...

LOL... when you said to seek out info on CJ Brown/Buck Creek fisherman... i got a kick out of it!!! I live within a stones-throw of the creek and within a 5 minute walk of the headwaters... I basically live on the creek bank when the "run" is on!!! And speaking of the quality of the "run"... its the same here too. I've watched the greatness factor, if you will, decline drastically over the years... but thats due to fishing pressure and DNR hands pulling the female WB from the lake each spring by the net fulls... they dont want them in the lake

And I dont know if you know this... but the DNR stopped stocking hybrids in Kiser several years ago and have since started stocking it with actual stripers... they wanted to turn it into a brooder lake for stripers, later to be used to cross with the whitebass to create the hybrids they stock in other lakes... But what hybrids are left in there will continue to grow to their famous 10lb+ size until they are completely gone... whether it be by fishermen or natural causes... but that just leaves room for those Stripers to grow enormous!!!
Flathead King 06
Flathead King 06
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by ratherbefishing Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:15 am

We were out there last in the late spring of 2007 and took a canoe out with light tackle just to see what kind of fight we could give one if we hooked up.
We caught 15 in about 3 1/2 hours and had two doubles, largest was about 7 lbs. It's going to be insane if Strioers take hold in there. They'll have to stock is with something pretty prolific to feed all those things. When I used to live in NY we were right on the Hudson River and those things would get up to 40lbs! I doubt you'll see that size in scrawny little Kiser Lake, but what if.......

And as for the flys you tied... I'm thinking Erie Dearie up front and fuzzy nuts the squirrel in the back... deadly, just deadly.

good fishin'

ratherbe
ratherbefishing
ratherbefishing
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Flathead King 06 Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:24 am

ratherbefishing wrote:We were out there last in the late spring of 2007 and took a canoe out with light tackle just to see what kind of fight we could give one if we hooked up.
We caught 15 in about 3 1/2 hours and had two doubles, largest was about 7 lbs. It's going to be insane if Strioers take hold in there. They'll have to stock is with something pretty prolific to feed all those things. When I used to live in NY we were right on the Hudson River and those things would get up to 40lbs! I doubt you'll see that size in scrawny little Kiser Lake, but what if.......

Largest hybrid I've ever pulled out of Kiser Lake was in '05 and it was just shy of 11lbs... came off the point on park view area

For the same reason the DNR chose this lake to stock hybrids in, is the same reason they decided to put stripers in... all the shad supply ample forage for the fish, the lake just lacks water depths to support "huge" fish, but i see some 20lbers or so a few years from now
Flathead King 06
Flathead King 06
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Record Chaser Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:49 pm

I'm catching some Big Bull Gills on the Fly and also getting some big Crappie and Perch jiggin. Spring is here Very Happy
Record Chaser
Record Chaser
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down