Ohio Outdoors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MAD BROWNIES

4 posters

Go down

Outdoors MAD BROWNIES

Post by ratherbefishing Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:44 pm

Alright, I don't flyfish, I'd like to try it, but I don't. However, I do like to fish Mad River for Brownies. I use an ultralight spinning rig and I throw little jigs and rebel crickethoppers and the like, fitted with a single hook in the back. Flathead you're dead on when you talk about them smacking anything yellow, they destroy that color.
So here's what I'm thinking.....
Fish the stretch between 36 and 55, go to Crabill's for lunch, eat 10 burgers.
No better way to usher in spring.

Any takers?

Good fishin'!

ratherbe
ratherbefishing
ratherbefishing
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Outdoors Re: MAD BROWNIES

Post by saugeye1 Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:53 pm

you set up it up and i'll try to be there, depending on work schedule, canoed mad river several years ago, bunch of us from work use to go.
saugeye1
saugeye1
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ratherbefishing Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:58 pm

It's going to depend a lot on rainfall, if the mad gets kicked up too much it'll ruin it. How much notice do you think you'd need?
ratherbefishing
ratherbefishing
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by saugeye1 Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:03 pm

just a few days, i'm on call once every three weeks, changes all the time so if ya pic a weekend a couple days ahead of time would be ok. also on vacation the last week in april.
saugeye1
saugeye1
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ratherbefishing Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:08 pm

Sounds like it would work out.
ratherbefishing
ratherbefishing
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Flathead King 06 Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:03 am

IDK what it is... but anything with a yellow or copper/light brown to it, is just destroyed by the time you leave to go home... THEY EAT IT UP!!!

A buddy of mine made some homemade "lures" if thats what you want to call them... they looked like a wire bread tie wrapped in light tan and yellow yarn with a treble hook on the end... all hooked to a bettle spin wire... LOL I couldnt help from laughing when I saw it, looked like it would turn fish belly side up, more less catch a fish... but my jaw dropped when he was catching 5 to my 1... I COULNT BELIEVE IT!!!!! So ever since I have focused my fly patterns around those colors and have always been very productive

Then there is the DARK SIDE!!! The live bait factor... if you cant get them on artificial... just float nightcrawlers through the holes... lol!

Im laid off work right now and have all the time in the world.. well maybe not, heard word about maybe going back in march... fingers crossed... but would be game for a fishing-get-together... just keep me informed
Flathead King 06
Flathead King 06
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by OhioFisher Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:47 am

Yay
Our first site me up Laughing
I'm down this weekend and every other after... I don't think I'll be much with one arm though Sad So I think you'll have to count me out of this one Razz
OhioFisher
OhioFisher
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ratherbefishing Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:36 am

I'll keep you all updated on this thread. This might be something that we could try to do a couple of times depending on schedules.
I'm definitly going to go, it's only about 25 minutes from my door in Bellefontaine 'til I'm fishing the hole at 36.
My wife and I usually go canoeing at birchbark from Lippincott to 55, you can fish every pocket on the way down and they pick you up at 55 when you're done.
A canoe or kayak is about the only way to go if you're going to float as the river isn't deep enough for a belly boat for the most part... you'd be doing a lot of walking if you tried.
ratherbefishing
ratherbefishing
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by saugeye1 Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:05 pm

i thought you all waded. don't have canoe so i'm limited. definatley inter. just keep me posted
saugeye1
saugeye1
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Flathead King 06 Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:10 pm

saugeye1 wrote:i thought you all waded. don't have canoe so i'm limited. definatley inter. just keep me posted

me either... but I have a small 12' fiberglass jon boat... going to be getting a new all welded aluminum one soon
Flathead King 06
Flathead King 06
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by ratherbefishing Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:03 am

Wading is the most effecient way of getting around, but there are spots around Urbana that have stretches that are deep enough that wading them is a little hairy... You have to leave the water from time to time to continue on is some spots. But then 30 yds away it's only ankle deep for stretches. It'll keep you guessing that's for sure.
ratherbefishing
ratherbefishing
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Flathead King 06 Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:27 pm

ratherbefishing wrote:Wading is the most effecient way of getting around, but there are spots around Urbana that have stretches that are deep enough that wading them is a little hairy... You have to leave the water from time to time to continue on is some spots. But then 30 yds away it's only ankle deep for stretches. It'll keep you guessing that's for sure.

The Mad is definitely one of those river where if you think you know everything about it, it will surely prove you wrong...

Wading is definitely the most effective way to fish the Mad, and you're right you could be just walking along and all the sudden hit a hole that's over your head or really close, and it only look like its 3' deep
Flathead King 06
Flathead King 06
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by ratherbefishing Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:32 pm

about 6 miles north of Urbana there is a tractor crossing that has a nice hole below it. I went wading out with my hip waders on, stepped over a rock and wound up in water up to my ribs.
ratherbefishing
ratherbefishing
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by saugeye1 Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:41 pm

been there done that, hope it was not to cold!!!!!!!!
saugeye1
saugeye1
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ratherbefishing Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:20 pm

That particular day was between about 85-90, but that water is cold no matter what.
ratherbefishing
ratherbefishing
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Flathead King 06 Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:44 pm

ratherbefishing wrote:That particular day was between about 85-90, but that water is cold no matter what.

I've heard that! Even on the hottest day, you fall in, and your breath is taken
Flathead King 06
Flathead King 06
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by saugeye1 Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:52 pm

i guess from our canoe trips over there the water was quite cold even in july
saugeye1
saugeye1
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ratherbefishing Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:52 pm

We take drinks with us and just drop them in a shady spot to keep them cold
ratherbefishing
ratherbefishing
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Flathead King 06 Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:55 pm

ratherbefishing wrote:We take drinks with us and just drop them in a shady spot to keep them cold

we always put them in our fish basket and hang them over the side of our boat
Flathead King 06
Flathead King 06
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by ratherbefishing Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:30 am

No more need to take drinks... read my post about water bottles in chitter chatter
ratherbefishing
ratherbefishing
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Flathead King 06 Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:15 pm

saw that... looks pretty neat
Flathead King 06
Flathead King 06
Team
Team