Ohio Outdoors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Size of Brownies in Mad

5 posters

Go down

Outdoors Size of Brownies in Mad

Post by ratherbefishing Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:46 am

I was reading a DNR report that there a Brown Trout documented in Mad river weighing 10 lbs! If you fish the Mad what's your biggest? If you fish somewhere else where, and what's you biggest?
This number just seems a little high to me for some reason... are they a lot bigger south of 40?

ratherbe
ratherbefishing
ratherbefishing
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Outdoors Re: Size of Brownies in Mad

Post by saugeye1 Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:50 am

mainly fish the trout stockings.haven't done any stream fishin yet. biggest is probably 12" rainbow and golden.
saugeye1
saugeye1
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Flathead King 06 Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:45 pm

Ratherbefishing

I have also heard of documentation of brownies being stocked and caught in the 10lb range... really doesn't surprise me, but I dont know if they are still likely there... biggest brown I ever caught came from right under the 55 bridge in that deep hole and it was 23" and 4.5lbs... IT WAS A HOSS!!! shaped like a football
Flathead King 06
Flathead King 06
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by saugeye1 Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:23 pm

NICE BROWNIE fk caugth on fly or spinner
saugeye1
saugeye1
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by OhioFisher Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:47 pm

Biggest I've caught in the mad was 16 Laughing
Watched my Dad pull a 24in. one day though
OhioFisher
OhioFisher
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Flathead King 06 Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:50 pm

saugeye1 wrote:NICE BROWNIE fk caugth on fly or spinner

caught it on a plastic trout worm by lowrance floated through the hole
Flathead King 06
Flathead King 06
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by bugeyedjig Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:59 pm

my biggest there is 24 inches, but i saw a guy on christmas day about 10 years ago catch one around 8 pounds...i took pictures of it for him with his camera. i remember he caught it on a rapala, just dont remember which one. i fly fish down there.he caught his upstream of the 55 bridge, and i caught mine around springfield, i think it is called countyline road.

Last edited by bugeyedjig on Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add to it)
bugeyedjig
bugeyedjig
Outdoorsman 5
Outdoorsman 5

Back to top Go down

Post by ratherbefishing Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:42 am

sure, countyline road is I believe the first overpass on 68 if you head south out of Urbana, if you're heading north out of springfield it's going to be the last before it goes down to 2 lane again. To get to the river there you'll want to go west from 68. There are some good holes down that way, and I have heard that there are some trout that made it into those ponds along 68 when the river has flooded in the past. I don't know how long they make it in those ponds but if you're there and have permission to fish outside the river it may be worth your time. At the very least there are probably some nice gills in there.
ratherbefishing
ratherbefishing
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Flathead King 06 Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:22 pm

From what I've heard about those ponds they are LOADED with monster gills, bass, and pike... it's some club or something like that... a man that we know belongs to it, but doesn't fish it much...

Countyline rd. has good holes up and down it... but the next best stretch is along dallas rd just outside of urbana
Flathead King 06
Flathead King 06
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by ratherbefishing Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:03 pm

There are a lot of good holes that run the length of Urbana, and if you het one of the tractor crossings to the north you're in for non stop bites because they create a barrier that concentrates the fish... you can see them all in those spots, and there is usually a hole on the downstream side of the crossings from where the water hollows out the bottom.
ratherbefishing
ratherbefishing
Team
Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down